Welcome Wahls Seminar Participants!
Andrea’s Favorite Gluten and Dairy Free Ingredient Swaps – July 8th
Gluten and Wheat
- There is no perfect replacement for wheat flour
- Instead, we use a blend of flours to get the same result, usually a mix of brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, potato starch and a tsp of xanthan gum
- You can also use almond and coconut flours which are whole foods and less processed than those mentioned above
Gluten Free Replacements:
- Almond Flour
- Brown Rice Flour – read my post for the flour blend recipe (“Gluten Free Flours Explained”)
- Wheat Free Soy Sauce – Tamari by San-J
- Soy Free Soy Sauce – Coconut Aminos
- Potato Flakes instead of breadcrumbs
- Dairy is also a pretty perfect food when it comes to cooking, so replacing it can be a challenge
- Create creaminess in casseroles with full-fat coconut milk, mashed cauliflower, cashew cream or pureed vegetables plus a little fat
- There are lots of dairy free cheeses and butters in the store now, be mindful of how they make you feel, they might not all be easy on your digestion
Dairy Free Replacements:
- Any nut milk like almond, macadamia, pistachio
- Thick coconut milk from the can
- Cashew Cream – blended soaked raw cashews
- Nutritional Yeast – yellow flakes that add a cheesy flavor
- Make your own nut milk!!
- Nut Milk Bag – to filter the solids away from the milk
Dairy Free Cooking Videos!
Watch the video below to get my recipe for a dairy free chocolate smoothie! Just leave out the banana to make it fully Wahls compliant.
How about a cheesy nacho dip that is completely dairy free. This video below shows you how to make it all in your blender. Watch the video on Youtube for Dairy Free Nacho Dip
Get my Online Gluten Free Cooking Course for $97 by using code “wahls” at checkout. Learn everything you need to know about all the gluten free flours, how to replace wheat in soups and casseroles, and a demo of my famous Chicken Gravy, using no cornstarch, YUM!
Great Gluten and Dairy Free Recipes:
- Nom Nom Paleo – Cook For Life (Paleo)
- How to Make Cashew Cream (with garlic, so more savory)
- Make Cashew Cream (without garlic and uses some nutritional yeast)
Resources to Download
Download the Ingredients that Contain Gluten List Here
Download the Ingredients that Contain Dairy List Here
Essentials Track Support Call Excerpt June 1st, 2021
Here are my five tips for where to begin making the changes to your diet and lifestyle so you can be a full-time Wahls Warrior and actually enjoy eating all the food and make meal prep easy:
- Start Simple – go with foods you know how to cook and feel comfortable making. Slowly adjust them to fit your new way of eating by swapping out the ingredients you are currently avoiding
- Then move on to new foods and ingredients
- Learn new recipes one at a time. Get to know a new cooking technique or recipe to the point you feel comfortable changing up the ingredients
- Ingredient Swaps
- Get familiar with the foods you are avoiding like gluten and dairy. What are all the names for those ingredients and where do they show up in packaged foods.
- Then, learn ways to swap them out with healthier ingredients that still make your meals feel rich and satisfying.
- Whenever you cook, make extra – Batch Cooking
- Saves you time in cooking and cleaning up your kitchen
- Wake up to food already cooked and ready for a quick breakfast!
- Gather Resources and Support
- Trainings and group support (like this one)
- Cooking videos and classes
- Nom Nom Paleo Cook For Life (Paleo)
- Wahls Cooking For Life
- The Healing Kitchen (Paleo Recipes)
- The Anti-Inflammatory Diet Slow Cooker Cookbook
- All About Braising by Molly Stevens
- Set up your Kitchen like you mean it
- Do you have clear counter space to work in? Clear up the clutter
- How are your pots and pans? Do you need to throw some out, get something new?
- Do you actually have the equipment you need to cook?
- What about knives, cutting boards, cooking utensils