Create your own vegetarian burgers that the meat eaters will enjoy too.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped small
- 1 medium carrot, chopped small
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can black beans, 15oz
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked French green lentils or Beluga lentils
- 1 tsp rice flour (optional)
- 1 tsp tapioca flour (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat small sauté pan over medium heat
- Once hot, add olive oil and onion and sauté until onion softens about 1 minute
- Add carrot and cook 2 more minutes stirring frequently.
- Then add garlic, stir, and turn off heat. Let cool.
- Place black beans in food processor with cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and parsley and process until smooth.
- Add the onion mixture and lentils and pulse until incorporated. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and spray with oil to give a light coating.
- Using an ice cream scoop, form into balls and place on a baking sheet. The scoop should hold about 1/3 to 1/2 cup, but you can use a smaller one if you like – it’ll just make for more patties. You can also just form the balls by hand if preferred.
- Press down on ball to form patties about ½ inch high, pinching to close up any major cracks along the edges. If mixture breaks apart too easily, add the flours, and mix again. Repeat until all of the black bean mix has been used.
- Place in lower half of oven, this will help the bottoms to brown, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully flip patties over with a large spatula, the patties may still be soft, so be careful not to break them. Place back in the oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
Serve these with chipotle mayo or guacamole seasoned with a little tomatillo hot sauce.