- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 bunches basil, about 8 oz total
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, about 1/2 a lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, plus 2 tbsp
- Place everything in the food processor, starting with just 1/2 cup of the oil and 2 tsp of the lemon juice. You might like a thicker pesto, so it is better to start with a little less liquid, you can always add more. And the flavor of citrus can vary with the age of the fruit, so start with a little less, taste and then see if you want to add more.
- Process until smooth. Taste, add more oil, lemon and/or salt to taste.
- Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Basil will stay green longer if you cover the surface with plastic wrap, which limits the amount of air contact. Let the plastic wrap rest on the surface of the pesto.
- This recipe makes 2 cups which is a lot if you are eating alone, or just want a small amount. Go ahead and cut the recipe in half if you want to make less. You may have to stop the food processor more often to scrape down the sides as there won’t be as much in the bowl of the processor and it will take a little longer to get chopped down.